Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Sage Teacher?

I am a middle school teacher at The Sage School, a small, independent school in Foxboro, Massachusetts.  The school was founded in 1990 by Linda Beers, our first Head of School, with hope that we would help bright kids become wise people, hence the name Sage.  How did I end up here?  After a lot of personal reflection and discussion with family and friends, I decided to leave a private law practice and become a teacher.  One day as I stopped at school to pick up my children and happened to see Linda in the lobby.  I told her about my new plan, and I remember our conversation quite vividly for she immediately replied, “I'll hire you.”  What Linda Beers saw in me to give me this chance, I don't know, but I will always be grateful to her for allowing me to be a permanent part of this amazing community.  Since I first stepped into a Sage classroom in 1996, I have never experienced any regret about leaving my practice and have at least tried to rise to the same standards we set for our students.  However, to be a wise teacher requires constant reevaluation and self-reflection, and so my hope is that this blog will help me work toward becoming a real sage teacher.    

No comments:

Post a Comment